Work Location: San Luis Obispo, San Diego, Bend, Herndon, Huntsville, Riga or Possibly Remote
Full-Time Exempt Position
California Salary Range: $90,000 – $230,000 DOE
Edge Autonomy is seeking an experienced software engineer that can lead the development of the Vehicle Management System (VMS) that runs onboard multiple Edge Autonomy Unmanned Air Systems (UAS). The VMS manages all aircraft subsystems and is critical for flight safety and mission success. You write embedded software to manage all aircraft subsystems. You will coordinate with the flight control team to manage the interface between the VMS and the flight controller. You will coordinate with the ground control team to execute operator commands relayed through datalinks and feedback health and status information of all aircraft systems. You will also work with the Autonomy team to provide a flight-safe interface between onboard autonomy algorithms and the flight controller.
Bottom Line: you will be central to the core functions of our aircraft.
- Maintain and expand the capabilities of the Vehicle Management System (VMS)
- Design and implement code for embedded devices and systems on multiple Edge Autonomy unmanned aircraft and test those devices in System Integration Lab (SIL), Hardware Integration Lab (HIL), and Flight Test.
- Write and test software to support the integration of sensors and Processors into the aircraft (including autopilot, payloads, radios, and flight-critical devices).
- Debug, troubleshoot, and isolate software issues
- Significant experience writing embedded code for Unmanned Air Systems
- Solid understanding of UAS architectures and subsystems
- Solid understanding of flight-critical software requirements
- Proficient in C/C++ in a real-time embedded environment
- Practical experience writing firmware/embedded code for a physical device
- Strong sense of ownership and drive in digging into complex problems
- Experience building a System Integration Lab (SIL) or Hardware Integration Lab (HIL)
- Experience supporting flight test
- Ability to read schematics and use standard debugging: oscilloscope, logic analyzer, multimeter
- Network programming and understanding of the IP protocol
- Understanding of RTOS functionality
- If an offer of employment offer is extended, candidate must have the ability to pass a background check and may need to have the ability to be insured by the Company’s Auto-policy. Offer of Employment is contingent upon the results.
- Based on our work requirements, applicants may have to comply with NOFORN security classification.
This position requires access to information that is subject to compliance with the International Traffic Arms Regulations (“ITAR”) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”). In order to comply with the requirements of the ITAR and/or the EAR, applicants will be asked to provide specific documentation to verify U.S. person status under the ITAR and the EAR.
Edge Autonomy Benefits
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Matching 401k
- Paid PTO
- Paid holidays
Edge Autonomy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Edge Autonomy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Continued employment remains on an “At-Will” basis.
To our veterans and separated service members, you are at the forefront of our minds as we recruit top talent to join Edge Autonomy. The skills you’ve gained while serving our country, such as flexibility, agility, and leadership, are much like the skills that will make you successful in this role. In addition, with our commitment to an inclusive work environment, we recognize the exceptional engagement and innovation displayed by individuals with disabilities. Edge Autonomy seeks such skilled and qualified individuals to share our mission where you’ll join a cohort of others who have chosen to call Edge Autonomy home. Edge Autonomy supports our military and will compensate up to 80 hours of reservist/active duty for our employees.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the candidate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Most work is performed in enclosed buildings. This position is primarily housed in a temperature-controlled office. While performing the duties, the candidate is frequently exposed to computer terminals, sitting, and standing for long lengths of time. Frequent and prolonged periods of time looking at a computer screen. Walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, sitting, and bending during each workday. The vision requirement includes close vision, distant vision, and computer vision. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard. Carrying up to 50 pounds. PPE for production, as well as PPE for infectious diseases, include a facial mask, and protective gloves as necessary. These ADA requirements are not inclusive of the performed and responsibilities to be held by the candidate.