Work Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Job Description Summary
As an Advanced Lead Engineer working Ceramic Process Development, you will use your ceramic and materials processing expertise to maintain and innovate ceramic tube extrusion, screen printing, spray deposition and the whole ceramic fuel cell production line. Working and leading cross-functionally with design, manufacturing, and quality engineering, you will lead the development of new ceramic processes. You will partner with supply chain on cross-product deployment of newly industrialized processes and implement mature methods of process control.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Knowledge of ceramic materials, processes and processing equipment.
• Performs research, design, and development of manufacturing processes, methods, and controls incoming material quality, ball-milling, mixing, forming, product handling, heat treatment, high-temperature sintering, inspection, and testing.
• Designs custom equipment, tools, fixtures, and supporting apparatus to improve manufacturing production rates, yields, cost, and quality.
• Develop and maintain manufacturing drawings, procedures, work instructions, and other quality control documentation.
• Evaluates and troubleshoots manufacturing or quality issues using designed experiments, structured root cause and problem-solving techniques.
• Performs detailed chemical analysis of thermoplastics as well as research activities related to substitute and/or new materials.
• Design new thermoplastic co-extrusion tooling for ram extrusion machines.
• Develop and maintain ceramic thin film manufacturing including screen printing and spraying deposition.
• Perform experiments, ensure its validity and operation by installing and running the extrusion equipment and process.
• Design and develop new product and equipment and processes and troubleshoot it
• Improve and support the manufacturing and process development.
• Contribute and lead projects on all phases of development including process and product development, new product development, prototyping, automation, and scaleup into full-scale manufacturing.
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree, or PhD in ceramics or materials science and engineering from an accredited university or college
• Experience in ceramic materials application and processing is preferred
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and indirect team leadership skills
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve technical and business problems
• Demonstrated ability to lead and execute programs / projects
• Familiarity with DOE, FMEAs and Lean concepts
• U.S. Citizen required, per ITAR definition
This position requires access to information that is subject to compliance with the International Traffic Arms Regulations (“ITAR”) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”). In order to comply with the requirements of the ITAR and/or the EAR, applicants will be asked to provide specific documentation to verify U.S. person status under the ITAR and the EAR. A “U.S. person” according to their definition is a U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder), or protected individual such as a refugee, or asylee. See 22 CFR § 120.15. Some positions will require current U.S. Citizenship due to contract requirements.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Adaptive Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties that will be required in this position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and in compliance with Federal and State Laws). Continued employment remains on an “At-Will” basis.
A Note on Our Response to COVID-19 (and Contagious Diseases)
Our workplace requires that all employees be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Persons with documented medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs will be reasonably accommodated in accordance with applicable law. Employment is contingent upon proof of vaccination or exemption.
Adaptive Energy is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for our employees.
To our veterans and separated service members, you are at the forefront of our minds as we recruit top talent to join our Company. The skills you’ve gained while serving our country, such as flexibility, agility, and leadership, are much like the skills that will make you successful in this role. In addition, with our commitment to an inclusive work environment, we recognize the exceptional engagement and innovation displayed by individuals with disabilities.
Adaptive Energy supports our military and will compensate up to 80 hours of reservist/active duty for our employees.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the candidate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Most work is performed in enclosed buildings. Varied indoor working environment conditions. While performing the duties, the candidate is frequently exposed to computer terminals, sitting, and standing for long lengths of time. Frequent and prolonged periods of time looking at a computer screen. Walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, sitting, and bending during each workday. The vision requirement includes close vision, distant vision, and computer vision. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard. Carrying up to 45 pounds. PPE for production, as well as PPE for Covid and infectious diseases, include a facial mask, and protective gloves as necessary. These ADA requirements are not inclusive of the performed and responsibilities to be held by the candidate.
Benefits: Position is eligible for generous medical, dental, vision, short-term, long-term disability benefits starting the first day of the first full month after start-date. Additionally, team member begins earning PTO immediately upon hiring and is eligible for 401(K) with company match (subject to vesting schedule).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.