San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Edge Autonomy, headquartered in San Luis Obispo, California, is a leader in unmanned and autonomous systems technology and was established with the goal of developing the most advanced platforms and sensors in the unmanned systems market. The company brings a diverse ecosystem of unmanned platforms, EO/IR camera payloads, fuel cell power systems and unmatched global reach with manufacturing and flight test facilities that serve customers with innovation, speed and agility.
With a global employee base, including some of the world’s top unmanned systems engineers and payload sensor experts, Edge Autonomy helps customers positively impact Intelligence, Surveillance ad Reconnaissance (ISR) operations in innovative and cost-effective ways. Edge Autonomy benefits from its vertically integrated operations and global footprint, including more than 200,000 square feet of manufacturing facilities on two continents, with support offices in Bend, Oregon; Ann Arbor, Michigan; and Herndon, Virginia.
Edge Autonomy is seeking a senior-level electrical engineer to join our engineering group and help further develop our aircraft subsystems. We are looking for a candidate who can collaborate well with a small team to develop unmanned aircraft products for military and commercial applications. The work is hands-on, fast-paced, fun, and rewarding.
Duties and/or Responsibilities
- Support the design, development, prototyping, testing, troubleshooting, and documentation of electrical systems for unmanned aircraft
- Technical leader for engineering projects including PCB design, embedded systems, and wire harnesses
- Collaborate closely with other engineering disciplines (mechanical, aerospace, software, QA)
- Establish repeatable manufacturing processes and inspection plans
- Participate in design and peer reviews
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by adhering to good practices and habits of configuration control
- US Citizenship
- B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering or related field is required or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Senior position: 5+ year’s relevant work experience in aircraft electrical systems or related field
- Leadership skills: the ability to direct and delegate tasks
- Covid-19 Vaccination status of Fully Vaccinated
- Ability to obtain and maintain a secret clearance
- Systems design and integration of electrical, software, and mechanical systems for aircraft or robotics
- PCB design, testing, and troubleshooting
- Microcontroller programming and testing
- Power systems, motor control, batteries, sensors
- Data conversion (analog-to-digital)
- RF design and testing
- Part selection and sourcing
- Altium or similar PCB design software
- Wire harness design and fabrication
- Quality inspections and improvements
- Familiarity with the industrial specifications and requirements (ISO, MIL, ASME, etc.)
- Ability to read schematics and use standard debugging equipment: oscilloscope, logic analyzer, multimeter
- Strong sense of ownership and drive in digging into complex problems
- Good team communication skills
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- If an offer of employment is extended, a background check is required, and the offer of employment is contingent on the results.
- This is a salaried position requiring 40 hours a week during normal business hours. Additional hours may be required to support development or production goals.
- Based on our work requirements, applicants must comply with NOFORN security classification.
- Being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 is a condition of employment at Edge Autonomy. Proof of vaccination or an accommodation request approved by Edge Autonomy will be required prior to starting employment with the company.
Conditions will vary. Most work is performed in enclosed buildings. Must be able to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time, walking, lifting, and reaching. Must be capable of lifting 20 lbs., 20+lbs. assisted by other employees as needed. Standard working hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm with a one-hour lunch period.
What We Offer
At Edge Autonomy we care about all team members. We offer a positive culture with opportunities for career growth, competitive compensation, and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision insurances, paid vacation time, paid holidays, additional paid sick time, and a 401(k)-retirement plan with up to 4% company matching contribution.
Edge Autonomy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Edge Autonomy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to which will be required in this position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Laws). Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
A Note On Our Response to COVID-19 (and Contagious Diseases)
Our workplace requires that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid 19. Persons with documented medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs will be reasonably accommodated in accordance with applicable law. Employment is contingent upon proof of vaccination or exemption.
Edge Autonomy is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for our employees. While we continue to meet our commitments to delivering the highest quality product to our customers, the health, safety, and wellbeing of our employees and their families remain our top priority. As the situation evolves, so does our plan. Not only are we following all CDC, state, and local guidelines, but we’re taking precautions to reduce the spread of COVID-19 or new variance outbreaks. We remain vigilant and will continue to be proactive in keeping our community safe.
To our veterans and separated service members, you are at the forefront of our minds as we recruit top talent to join Edge Autonomy. The skills you’ve gained while serving our countries, such as flexibility, agility, and leadership, are much like the skills that will make you successful in this role. In addition, with our commitment to an inclusive work environment, we recognize the exceptional engagement and innovation displayed by individuals with disabilities. Edge Autonomy seeks such skilled and qualified individuals to share our mission where you’ll join a cohort of others who have chosen to call Edge Autonomy home.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the candidate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Most work is performed in enclosed buildings. This position is primarily housed in a temperature-controlled office. While performing the duties, the candidate is frequently exposed to computer terminals, sitting, and standing for long lengths of time. Frequent and prolonged periods of time looking at a computer screen. Walking, standing, stooping, kneeling, sitting, and bending during each workday. The vision requirement includes close vision, distant vision, and computer vision. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard. Usage of copier machines, printer machines, and machines designated to engineering practices. Carrying up to 50 pounds. PPE for production, as well as PPE for Covid and infectious diseases, include facial masks, protective gloves as necessary. These ADA requirements are not inclusive of the performed and responsibilities to be held by the candidate.
All responses will be handled with strict confidentiality.