Work Location: San Luis Obispo, San Diego, Bend, Herndon, Huntsville, Riga or Possibly Remote
Full-Time Exempt Position
California Salary Range: $90,000 – $230,000 DOE
Edge Autonomy is seeking an experienced autonomy/AI software engineer that can lead the development of our onboard flight autonomy agent. You will design and implement autonomy algorithms to run on Nvidia Jetson processors to enable autonomous flight behaviors in a variety of real-world environments. This autonomy system will make fundamental decisions about aircraft flight behavior in the absence of human involvement and must handle a variety of dynamic real-world conditions and events including weather, wind, threats, target, and degradations to aircraft state. This is not a laboratory science project. The software you develop will be deployed on fielded aircraft that actively perform operations around the world.
- Lead the design and implementation of the onboard flight autonomy agent on a Jetson processor and interface the Jetson compute node to the aircraft’s onboard vehicle management system
- Implement and/or integrate autonomous path planning algorithms on a Jetson processor to enable the aircraft to autonomously respond to high-level mission needs
- Implement and/or integrate autonomous flight performance models to enable autonomous generation of optimal flight paths in degraded aircraft states
- Implement a decision agent to autonomous react to contingency situations including external factors (adverse weather, threats) and onboard mission-critical or flight-critical events (lost comms, lost engine, degraded flight control)
- Create a simulation test environment to validate autonomous behavior and test your code in a System Integration Lab (SIL), Hardware Integration Lab (HIL), and Flight Test
- Debug, troubleshoot, and isolate software issues
- Experience writing autonomy algorithms that run on Jetson Processors
- Proficient in core languages applicable to Jetson deployment (e.g. C++)
- Solid understanding of algorithms, data structures, and design patterns
- Understanding of path planning algorithms (e.g. Dijkstra, A*, etc.)
- Strong sense of ownership and drive in digging into complex problems
- Understanding of UAS architectures and subsystems
- Understanding of flight-critical software requirements
- Understanding of Flight Behavior and Aircraft Performance
- Experience building a System Integration Lab (SIL) or Hardware Integration Lab (HIL) for Unmanned Aircraft
- Experience supporting flight test
- Practical experience writing firmware/embedded code for a physical device
This position requires access to information that is subject to compliance with the International Traffic Arms Regulations (“ITAR”) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”). In order to comply with the requirements of the ITAR and/or the EAR, applicants will be asked to provide specific documentation to verify U.S. person status under the ITAR and the EAR.
- If an offer of employment offer is extended, candidate must have the ability to pass a background check and may need to have the ability to be insured by the Company’s Auto-policy. Offer of Employment is contingent upon the results.
- Based on our work requirements, applicants may have to comply with NOFORN security classification.
Edge Autonomy Benefits
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Matching 401k
- Paid PTO
- Paid holidays
Edge Autonomy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Edge Autonomy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Continued employment remains on an “At-Will” basis.
To our veterans and separated service members, you are at the forefront of our minds as we recruit top talent to join Edge Autonomy. The skills you’ve gained while serving our country, such as flexibility, agility, and leadership, are much like the skills that will make you successful in this role. In addition, with our commitment to an inclusive work environment, we recognize the exceptional engagement and innovation displayed by individuals with disabilities. Edge Autonomy seeks such skilled and qualified individuals to share our mission where you’ll join a cohort of others who have chosen to call Edge Autonomy home. Edge Autonomy supports our military and will compensate up to 80 hours of reservist/active duty for our employees.
The candidate must meet the physical demands described here to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Most work is performed in enclosed buildings. This position is primarily housed on a manufacturing floor. While performing the duties, the candidate is frequently exposed to chemicals, dust, and dirt. There will be sitting and standing for extended lengths of time. The vision requirement includes close vision, distant vision, and computer vision. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, operate manufacturing equipment, and build assemblies. Ability to carry up to 50 pounds. PPE for production and PPE for infectious diseases includes a facial mask, respirator, safety glasses, and protective gloves as necessary. These ADA and FEHA requirements are not inclusive of the performed and responsibilities to be held by the candidate.